Last night I spoke with Tom about the conditions under which we would train:
She has agreed to:
- get a buckler.
- have at least one sword without a thrusting tip.
- practice on her own at least once in between training sessions with me.
In other news I have thought of a new exercise for the longsword, using shinai:
- players start out of distance in guard.
- players come to the half sword with a mandritto, at quarter speed.
- maintaining constant blade contact they attempt to land a good blow, at quarter speed.
- When it gets silly they reset and start again.
The intent of this is primarily to teach players to maintain good cover at all times but also to teach blade control and single time attacks from the half sword. I will probably get to try it out when I next train Sara.